10 Cardinal Rules for Buying a Home
Written by: Trinity Title of Texas
These 10 Cardinal Rules home buyers must follow may seem like common sense to many. However, buyers can sometimes forget with all the excitement surrounding the buying of their new home.
- Do not change jobs, become self-employed or quit your job.
- Do not buy a car, truck or van (or you may be living in it!).
- Do not use charge cards excessively or let your accounts fall behind.
- Do not spend your money you have set aside for closing.
- Do not omit debts or liabilities from your loan application.
- Do not buy furniture.
- Do not originate any inquiries onto your credit.
- Do not make large deposits without first checking with your loan officer.
- Do not change bank accounts.
- Do not co-sign on a loan for anyone.
If you are in the process of buying a home, remember that your credit must not change or be affected in any way until you actually sign the paperwork and get possession of your new home. Lenders will not only look into your credit when you first get pre-approved, they will check it again (and sometimes again and again) before they let you sign the mortgage. If you want to buy new furniture for your home or change jobs, just be patient. There will always be time to do it after the closing.